I’ve been waiting for someone to make the case for faceted browse and search for what seems like forever. I’m thrilled to find this article (via Stephen Francoeur) explaining the concept for super-charging breadcrumbs using facets.
What makes Integrated Faceted Breadcrumb (IFB) different
[...] I believe Integrated Finding Breadcrumb design is more intuitive and resourceful than other faceted breadcrumb solutions due to the following key design recommendations made based on several years of designing and researching finding interfaces:
- Combine hierarchical Location & Attribute breadcrumbs
- Use Change instead of Set-Remove-Set
- Automatically retain relevant query information
- Label breadcrumb aspects
- Make it clear how to start a new search
- Allow direct keyword manipulation.